Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Peppery Monterey Jack Pasta Salad


Rating 4 out of 5

I slightly disagree with the rating, but that's what the official rater gave this dish. I enjoyed the simplicity and agree if you use salami (it is on my no-can-do list) and maybe a sharper more flavorful cheese it would be a higher rated dish.  The recipe is courtesy of the Well-Fed Newlyweds.

Ingredients

8 oz. uncooked Israeli couscous or other small pasta shape (we used quinoa)
2 1/4 cups plum tomatoes, diced
1/3 cup capers, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup sliced jarred banana peppers (I didn't care for these)
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 oz. Monterey Jack cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes (you may want to switch with a sharper cheese)
1 oz. salami, chopped (we used canned chicken, I would recommend the salami)
15 oz. can navy beans, rinsed and drained (we used Great Northern beans)
1 clove garlic, minced (or more to taste)
2 T. cider vinegar
1 T. extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/8 tsp. salt (use 1/4 tsp. if using kosher salt or sea salt)
 
Directions

1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

2. In a large bowl combine all of the remaining ingredients. Stir to combine.

3. Gently stir in the pasta until well combined. (A rubber spatula works well for this.)

4. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.  

2 comments: